Friday 13 November 2009

Negatively Positive

MyMan attended physio yesterday. He really dislikes having to go to the hospital 2 days running. He has another appointment with the physio in 2 weeks when she will assess his muscle strength and tone. He is being booked in for a Coping with Pain Programme which will start in the New Year. He'll be shown ways in which in can get up from the floor in and out of chairs/bed etc. Also exercises to improve posture and increase flexibility in back muscles.

She told him that he needed to be more positive in his outlook. That his negativity would not help him. I almost said "I told you so" but I refrained. I told him that I had a book and we could look at it and work on change of attitude as an exercise together. He "will give it a try" . . .

I'm trying to train him like a child or a dog. When he is in a reasonable mood and less negative I remain with him longer. As soon as he becomes grumpy, negative or aggressive I quietly withdraw and do my own thing - alone. He prefers to be with me so hopefully he'll make the connection at some point.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks but I'm hoping I can teach and old codger new behaviours . . .

3 comments:

ChickPea said...

I know what they say about old dogs and new tricks - but our 4 month old Feline Friend Bart is certainly teaching our old Mr Mutt new tricks over these last few weeks - and Mr Mutt seems quite chuffed in consequence.
Hoping MM gains new confidence from your kind, considerate and generous approach.
All love to you, x

Robert said...

You never stop learning new tricks. MM is lucky to have such a devoted teacher.

karen said...

Good luck.